Politics

President Karzai Seeks Explanation On Pakistan Mortar’s Attacks

Saturday, May 31, 2014
Kabul (BNA) The Commander of NATO-led forces in Afghanistan Gen. Joseph Dunford and US ambassador to Afghanistan James Cunningham met President Hamid Karzai the other day and briefed him about the details of US decision for reduction of troops and eventually withdrawal from Afghanistan. 
BNA reported, in the meeting, the president sought explanation about recent rocket firing from Pakistan on Kunar. However, Gen. Dunford expressed unawareness about the attacks and termed the media reports as exaggerated. Meantime, defense minister Gen. Bismillah Mohammadi in the meeting said that more than 300 rockets had been fired from across Durand Line on Kunar over the past two days leaving 12 civilians injured and destroyed some residential houses. Speaking in the meeting, chief of army staff Gen. Shir Mohammad Karimi said that he had taken the issue with his Pakistani counterpart but the Pakistani side rebuffed the report. However, Gen. Dunford and US ambassador pointed out that they would take the issue with Pakistani officials. President Karzai said that Afghanistan government before taking any step would seek explanation from Pakistani officials on the issue. Gen. Dunford also briefed the president about the number of troops after 2014, its reduction in 2015 to 2017. However, he confirmed that the US support about the strengthening Afghan security forces would continue. He also stated that by 2017 all the US bases except Bagram will be transferred to Afghan government and the Bagram base will be handed over later in understanding with the government of Afghanistan.
Gen. Dunford also added that America is committed to train and support Afghanistan national security forces till 2015.

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button