President Ghani: “The savage group does not have the power to confront security forces on the battlefield and instead targets with brutality and barbarism public facilities and the girls’ school.”
Kabul (BNA) Dozens of young girls were being buried Sunday at a desolate hilltop cemetery in Kabul, a day after a secondary school was targeted in the bloodiest attack in Afghanistan and on the eve of 27th night of the holy month of Ramadan.
A series of blasts outside the school martyred more than 50 people, mostly girl students, and wounded over 100 in Dash-e-Barchi, a west Kabul suburb on Saturday.
The government blamed the Taliban for the carnage, but the insurgents denied responsibility for the attack.
Interior Ministry spokesman Tareq Arian told reporters that a car bomb detonated in front of the Sayed Al-Shuhada girls’ school on Saturday, and when the students rushed out in panic, two more devices exploded.
Residents were shopping ahead of this week’s Eid al-Fitr holiday, which marks the end of Islamic holy month of Ramadan, when the blasts occurred.
On Sunday, relatives began burying the dead at a hilltop site known as “Martyrs Cemetery”, where victims of attacks are laid to rest.
Afghan officials including President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani blamed the Taliban. “This savage group does not have the power to confront security forces on the battlefield, and instead targets with brutality and barbarism public facilities and the girls’ school,” he said in a statement after the blasts.
The Taliban denied involvement and insisted they have not carried out attacks in Kabul since February last year, but the group has clashed daily with Afghan forces in the rugged countryside even as the US military reduces its presence.
Meanwhile the attack in Kabul received national and international condemnations, where the countries and international organizations condemned the attack as unforgivable one on children, calling it an assault on Afghanistan’s future.